Isola Not Seeking Re-Election To School Board

By SCOTT JACKSON

Barbara Isola

Barbara Isola

Voters will fill at least one open seat on the School Committee this fall because two-term incumbent Barbara Isola is not seeking re-election.

Three of the six school board seats – those held by Isola, Emily Lebo and Anne Mahoney – are up for grabs in the fall. Lebo has said she will run again while Mahoney has yet to reach a decision on her plans.

Isola, first elected to a four-year term in 2009, announced on Monday she would not seek re-election.

“It has been my honor and privilege to have served on the Quincy School Committee since January of 2010, and as vice-chair from 2012 to 2013,” Isola said in a statement.

“I ran for School Committee because I believe that public schools are the backbone of our city. There is no higher calling than educating our children and doing it well. This belief was reinforced and strengthened during my two terms in office. It was rewarding to collaborate with my colleagues and the superintendent to effect positive change. The superintendent, his leadership team, our principals and teacher, our paraprofessionals and support staff are second to none. I strongly believe that the collaboration between the School Committee and these professionals helps to foster creative ideas and provides rich opportunities for our students.

“It is my hope that a broad and diverse field of candidates will run for School Committee in the upcoming election and this will lead to robust debate and the presentation of new ideas.

“Thank you to all of the people who supported me over the years. Your generosity will never be forgotten and I pledge to continue to support education in Quincy.”

Two residents have pulled papers to run for School Committee: Anthony Andronico of Charles Street and David Jacobs of Dunns Court. Both did so last week, before Isola announced she would not run again.

Two City Council seats are also open this fall. At-large Councillor Joseph Finn, the longest-serving current member of council, announced last Monday he would not run again for his seat. The following day, Ward 1 Councillor Margaret Laforest announced she would give up that seat to run for one of the three at-large spots.

Share Button