Man Charged With Ex-Wife’s Murder Released On Bail


The Quincy man charged with murdering his ex-wife by running her over four times in the driveway of their Wollaston home has been released on $50,000 cash bail after spending a year and a half behind bars.

Yan Long Chow pleaded not guilty to the murder charge during his March 2017 arraignment in Norfolk County Superior Court. Judge Beverly Cannone ordered Chow held without bail at that time.

Chow asked Judge Peter Krupp to reconsider bail, while prosecutors argued he should remain held without bail, according to David Traub, spokesman for Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey.

Krupp set Chow’s bail at $50,000 and Chow was recently released after posting bail. Under the terms of release, Chow had to surrender his passport. He will be required to wear a GPS tracking device and will be confined to his home except to go to work and doctors’ appointments following a schedule set by a probation officer.

Quincy police responded to 21 Philips Street, where Chow and his ex-wife, 52-year-old Zhen Li, resided, on Sept. 2, 2016 on a report of a single-vehicle collision within the driveway involving a pedestrian.

The officers who arrived on scene found Li lying facedown in the driveway in front of the 2015 Toyota Sienna, according to a grand jury indictment. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Chow complained of chest pains to paramedics who arrived on scene and was transported to Quincy Medical Center, where he was treated and released within hours of his arrival, the indictment said.

Officers interviewed Chow at the hospital, and Chow told police he pulled forward from the bottom of the driveway to pick up Li, who had just exited a house from a side door. While doing so, Li told officers he felt dizzy and blacked out, according to the indictment.

Chow further stated that although he knew he had run over Li, he backed up, hit her again, but did not see anything so he pulled forward again, and then backed up the vehicle to the bottom of the driveway, where he found Li in front of the van, the indictment said.

Chow remained free following his ex-wife’s death with the investigation ongoing until the grand jury indicted him in March 2017.

During the investigation into Li’s death, police learned from family members and neighbors that she and Chow often argued, primarily about Chow’s gambling, the indictment stated. They said Li had indicated to her mother she was upset with Chow the day before her death because he had not returned home for two days because he was gambling in Boston.

The investigation determined Chow drove over Li four separate times in the driveway, according to the indictment. Police said Li became stuck under the minivan the first time Chow struck her while driving forward up the driveway. Chow then put the Sienna into reverse, dragging Li underneath; Li’s body then came out from under the vehicle in front of the van, at which point Chow drove forward over her body and then drove over her body again while backing up.

Chow and Li had been married in China before moving to the U.S., according to the indictment. They were divorced in 2005 while living in New Hampshire, but continued to live and work together until Li’s death. Chow and Li had two adult children and shared ownership of Boston restaurant.

Share Button