By SCOTT JACKSON
Seven occupants of a Quincy Point rooming house were taken to area hospitals after a two-alarm fire early Wednesday morning.
The fire at 31-33 Winter St., a rooming house owned by the non-profit NeighborWorks of Southern Mass., was reported shortly before 3 a.m. Wednesday when the Quincy Fire Department was notified that alarms were going off inside the building.
Deputy Fire Chief Ed Fenby said the first crews on scene reported heavy and smoke on the rear side of the building, with residents hanging out of windows.
“They immediately went into rescue mode,” he said.
Two residents were taken out of windows by ground ladders, and one man jumped from a second story window.
Nineteen people were inside the building at the time of the fire – 18 tenants and one guest. Seven were taken to Quincy Medical Center or South Shore Hospital in Weymouth. Fenby did not have an update on their condition as of late Wednesday morning. The remaining 12 residents were offered accommodations at Father Bill’s shelter, though some refused.
None of the firefighters on scene reported any injuries, Fenby said.
The fire was put out by 5:30 a.m., when the building was turned over to investigators. There was no cause yet for the fire as of 11 a.m. Wednesday, but Fenby said it does not appear suspicious.
“It is under investigation but it doesn’t look suspicious,” he said.
The fire caused an estimated $250,000 in damages.