Wollaston Elementary School announces a reception will be held April 12th to commemorate the opening of the school 100 years ago. Principal James Hennessy is looking for memories and testimonials from former students and teachers to help commemorate the event.
“We are looking forward to welcoming back former students and teachers on April 12,” Hennessy said. “We also are hoping that many will share their memories, photos, or comments prior to our reception by posting on our Face book page or emailing us at our 100th anniversary email address, Wollastonschool.email@example.com.”
On Saturday, April 12th, the Wollaston School staff and PTO will host a celebration from 2 to 4 p.m. at the school. Open to all current and former Wollaston School students and teachers, the reception will feature tours of the building, student -created exhibits representing the past 10 decades, as well remembrances of former students and staff.
The school, located in the heart of the Wollaston area of Quincy, has 327 students enrolled in kindergarten to grade 5. Principal James Hennessy notes that the school continues to play an important role in the Wollaston c community.
“We are fortunate to have an outstanding teaching staff and an active Parent Teacher Organization. Both of them create a sense of community here. A hundred years later, we here at Wollaston continue to strive to provide positive learning experiences which will contribute to growth as individuals, citizens, and workers.”
Opened in September 1913, the present Wollaston School building was predated by a wooden structure that stood in the current Safford Park diagonally across the street. The well-known Boston architectural firm of McLean & Wright, the same firm that designed the former Cranch, Adams, and Bryant Schools as well as the Squantum School in 1919, designed the current building. The cost of the Wollaston School construction in 1913 was $166,450.
A. H. Wright designed the Wollaston School in the colonial revival mode. This style is a model that has a symmetrical facade composed of a large center section dominated by five keystone tall arched windows and a central entrance and two side pavilions which project slightly.