Boston Man Charged With 7 Quincy Burglaries

By SCOTT JACKSON

A 33-year-old Boston man has been charged with breaking and entering into 19 homes across Greater Boston over the past five months, including seven in Quincy.

Jargle Soto-Suazo, 33, of Boston, is believed to be responsible for the uptick in housebreaks in the communities of Medford, Brookline, Quincy, Watertown and Arlington, law enforcement officials, including Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan and Quincy Police Chief Paul Keenan, announced Monday. Police departments across Middlesex and Norfolk Counties have been investigating the reported crimes since September 2018.

Soto-Suazo was apprehended following an alleged break-in that occurred in Brookline on Feb. 7, officials said. As part of the ongoing joint investigation into the alleged burglaries, police from multiple departments located the defendant displaying suspicious behavior in the area of Colbourne Street in Brookline. Police subsequently identified signs of an apparent break-in at a home in a neighborhood where Brookline Police had allegedly seen the suspect leaving moments earlier. The defendant was arrested as he was leaving the scene.

A search warrant was then executed on the defendant’s Boston home and vehicle that allegedly resulted in authorities discovering multiple items, including several watches, small jewelry items, a firearm and an iPad, that were reportedly stolen from residences across multiple communities, officials said. The preliminary investigation suggests that the defendant entered the residences through second story windows between the hours of 4 p.m. and 11 p.m. using a pry bar. In several instances, residents of the homes were present during the break-ins.

Soto-Suazo was charged in connection with 19 burglaries on Monday, including seven in Quincy, six in Brookline, four in Medford and one each in Arlington and Watertown. Charges include multiple counts of breaking and entering in the nighttime to commit a felony, attempted breaking and entering, possession of burglarious tools and receiving stolen property, officials said. The investigation into this matter is ongoing and investigators are also looking at recent reported burglaries in Belmont and Winchester. Additional charges may follow.

Soto-Suazo was arraigned on several charges in Brookline District Court, where he pleaded not guilty, officials said; he was ordered held on $40,000 cash bail.

Soto-Suazo is expected to be arraigned in Middlesex County and Quincy District Court this week on additional charges.

Share Button

Local Taxi Driver Saves Elderly Resident From Being Victimized By ‘Grandparent Scam’

Quincy Police are praising a local taxi driver for helping to prevent an elderly resident from being scammed out of several thousand dollars.

According to the Quincy Police Facebook page, on Thursday, Feb. 7, while working his shift for Yellow Cab, Richard Spencer picked up an 87-year-old female who requested to be taken to Walmart. While enroute, the victim told Spencer that she needed to buy more gift cards for her grandson that was in trouble. Another cab driver had told Mr. Spencer that the elderly female had gone to a location earlier in the day and bought two separate gift cards each for $2,000.

Spencer, believing the elderly passenger was being scammed, brought her straight to the Quincy Police Station.

The victim told officers that she received a phone call from a male, who identified himself as her grandson. The caller stated he was in a car accident and needed the victim to send him gift cards so he would not go to jail. This male gave the victim specific instructions on how to call a cab, go to a certain location, purchase two gift cards, call the number back and provide the gift card and pin numbers.

“This, ladies and gentlemen, is a text-book ‘Grandparent Scam,’” stated Quincy Police on its Facebook Page. “While the victim in this scam may be out $4,000 (which is a substantial amount of money), it could have been much, much worse.”

Police had this advice:

“Cashiers, etc: If you work in an environment that sells gift cards, take a moment to ask yourself – Does this make sense? Why would an 87-year-old individual need $4,000 in gift cards to this particular store/app. Ask questions. Sure, there may be a legitimate reason, but if you take the time and ask the questions, you just might prevent someone from falling victim.

“Thank you Mr. Spencer for caring,” Quincy Police said. “You could have chosen to remain silent and ignore the signs. But you didn’t. And for that we say thank you.”

 

Share Button

South Shore, Brigham And Women’s Hospitals Plan Quincy Center Presence

FoxRock Properties plans to construct three new buildings on the site of the Ross Lot - a hotel, residences and medical office space. South Shore Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital announced plans to move into the medical space Thursday.

FoxRock Properties plans to construct three new buildings on the site of the Ross Lot – a hotel, residences and medical office space. South Shore Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital announced plans to move into the medical space Thursday.

By SCOTT JACKSON

The approval process for a new medical office building in Quincy Center has yet to begin, but the developer of the property has reached an agreement with two local hospital groups who would share the new space.

Mayor Thomas Koch on Feb. 7 announced South Shore Health System – the operator of South Shore Hospital – and Partners HealthCare’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital would rent the space in the 200,000 square foot building that will be constructed on the site of the city-owned Ross Lot. Quincy-based FoxRock Properties will construct the new building, along with a 140-room hotel and a third building with 110 units of workforce housing.

Construction on site could start as soon as the spring of 2020, the mayor said, and would take about 18 months to complete.

Koch said the closure of the Quincy Medical Center in December 2014 left a void the new building in Quincy Center would fill.

“We saw the demise of Quincy Medical over the years, and since that time we’ve had a tremendous vacuum of medical services. People have to leave the city to get some very basic medical needs taken care of. That’s about to change,” Koch said.

“This will be a fulfilment of the transformation of the downtown and the return of some excellent, professional medical services for the residents of the city.”

Rob Hale, the founder of FoxRock Properties and the President and CEO of Granite Telecommunications, said his company is proud to be part of the resurgence in Quincy.

“Quincy a couple hundred years ago was an important part of America. For a couple decades, it hasn’t run as augustly as it used to be, but in the last five years it has had a resurgence,” Hale said. “We want to be part of that resurgence and we’re honored to be part of that resurgence.”

Dr. Gene Green, the president and CEO of the South Shore Health System, said the mix of medical offices coming to the new building has yet to be determined. He said it was unlikely the facility would include an emergency department, trauma center or maternity ward.

Before development of the new site can begin, the City Council will have to approve a land disposition agreement (LDA) authorizing the sale of the land to the developer. Koch said he plans to submit the LDA to the council for approval on Feb. 25. The project would also require approval from the Planning Board.

Part of the agreement with FoxRock will include tax benefits for the medical space, Koch said, but not the hotel or residential buildings. South Shore Health System and Partners HealthCare are both non-profit companies.

“They will certainly be paying on the hotel and the residential,” the mayor said. “The question is what would they pay for the medical, if anything. Generally, medical business is non-profit and doesn’t pay taxes, and I’m willing to forego that to bring medical uses back to the city.”

“We’re still working out the numbers so I can’t really say what the numbers are at this point,” Koch added.

He will also introduce on Feb. 25 a new bond for downtown improvements in the range of $25 million. That bond will include funding to design a new public parking garage in the area of the Ross Lot; Koch expects state money would be used to fund the garage’s construction. The bond will be paid for using the district improvement financing (DIF) program, which means new tax revenue from Quincy Center would pay back the funds borrowed.

In addition, Koch said he plans to introduce a new amendment to the Urban Revitalization and Development Plan for Quincy Center during the Feb. 25 meeting.

South Shore Health System also plans to move into the second and third floors of the office building at 1495 Hancock St. in Quincy Center, which is also owned by FoxRock, this summer. A primary care practice will operate inside that building.

Officials on hand for Thursday's announcement included (from left): FoxRock Properties owner Rob Hale; Mayor Thomas Koch; Dr. Betsy Nabel, president of Brigham Health; Dr. Gene Green, president of the South Shore Health System; and Jason Ward, managing partner for FoxRock Properties. Quincy Sun Photo/Robert Bosworth.

Officials on hand for Thursday’s announcement included (from left): FoxRock Properties owner Rob Hale; Mayor Thomas Koch; Dr. Betsy Nabel, president of Brigham Health; Dr. Gene Green, president of the South Shore Health System; and Jason Ward, managing partner for FoxRock Properties. Quincy Sun Photo/Robert Bosworth.

Share Button

Fund Established To Help Family Of Former Quincy Man Who Died From Injuries Outside Legion Post

Chris McCallum (center) was inducted into the Quincy-North Quincy Football Hall of Fame in 2016. Here he is escorted by then Red Raider seniors  Brendon Ganno (#29) and Liam O'Connor (#22). McCallum, a 1992 graduate of NQHS, died earier this week from injuries he sustained while trying to break up a fight outside the Nickerson American Legion Post in Squantum. A GoFundMe fund has been established to benefit his wife and their three sons. Quincy Sun Photo/Larry Carchedi

Chris McCallum (center) was inducted into the Quincy-North Quincy Football Hall of Fame in 2016. Here he is escorted by then Red Raider seniors Brendon Ganno (#29) and Liam O’Connor (#22). McCallum, a 1992 graduate of NQHS, died earlier this week from injuries he sustained while trying to break up a fight outside the Nickerson American Legion Post in Squantum. A GoFundMe fund has been established to benefit his wife and their three sons. Quincy Sun Photo/Larry Carchedi

By ROBERT BOSWORTH

A fund has been established to benefit the family of a former Quincy resident who died from injuries he sustained while trying to break up a fight earlier this week outside the Nickerson American Legion Post in Squantum.

Christopher W. McCallum, a husband and father of three from Bridgewater, was found injured early Sunday outside the post on Moon Island Road following a report of a large disorder. McCallum, 44, was rushed to Boston Medical Center after being found unconscious and bleeding outside the post shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday. McCallum was treated at BMC before succumbing to his injuries there Monday afternoon.

Quincy Police, along with State Police detectives assigned to the Norfolk County District Attorney’s office, are investigating the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident.

Anyone with information they believe may assist in the investigation is urged to contact detectives at 781-830-4990.

McCallum’s passing has saddened the community especially friends who knew the young husband and father from youth and high school football in Quincy.

McCallum was a 1992 graduate of North Quincy High School and served as a captain his senior year on the 1991 Red Raider football team. He was inducted into the Quincy-North Quincy Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

“As a husband, father, friend, engineer, and teammate, Chris was the real deal,” said Sean Glennon, a longtime friend and fellow NQHS Red Raider. “There was no role he didn’t excel at and there was no chance he’d ever boast of it either. The night Chris was inducted into the Hall of Fame he spent most of his speech praising another inductee (Graham Chevry) who he had played against because it was never about Chris.”

Ryan Craig, another friend and Red Raider head head football coach, said:

“Chris McCallum was a great man. I have come across many people in my life and have never met a better person than Chris. As we all try and process what has happened to Chris and his family, please take a little time to say a prayer for them all, and if possible please donate what you can to help them out in this very difficult time.”

McCallum was married for 20 years to his wife, Kathy (Doyle) McCallum, who is also originally from Quincy. They have three sons: Ryan, a junior at Bridgewater-Raynham High School; and 13-year-old twin boys, Michael and Christopher.

McCallum was also the captain of the 1991-1992 North Quincy hockey team. He played for the Squantum Sailors Youth Football team and after graduating NQHS played football for Mass. Maritime Academy from 1992-1995.

He graduated in 1996 and went on to work as an engineer.

To make a donation to the Chris McCallum Family Fund, visit: gofundme/chris-mccallum.

There is a link to make a donation to assist the family.

Also posted is a message which appears below:

“In the early morning of Sunday, January 27th, Christopher W. McCallum of Bridgewater, MA sustained a life-threatening head and brain injury while trying to break up a fight outside of the Nickerson Post in Quincy, MA. Chris was transported to Boston Medical Center where their trauma team worked tirelessly to try and save him but unfortunately, the injuries were too severe. Chris passed away Monday afternoon, Jan. 28th surrounded by his family and his closest friends. Chris was the quintessential good guy, passionately willing to help anyone in need whenever possible. He was a fiercely devoted husband, father, son, brother, and friend. Also beloved by nieces and nephews, there was no audience that didn’t see the overwhelming good in Chris from first blush.
At this time, we are reaching out to the community for prayers and strength for the collective family he leaves behind.  As we mourn this sudden and tragic loss, we ask that you give the family space and not reach out to the immediate family as we mourn. Chris worked tirelessly to provide for his family and the void he leaves today and forever is immense. Recognizing the family’s long-term needs, prayer posts and well wishes are more than welcome on this go fund me page that we established to help Kathy and the boys grieve this tremendous loss.”

Below are some Quincy Sun archive photos of Christopher McCallum from his high school days.

received_366936400763867

received_229397678008842

received_536100966893878received_605054469955758

Share Button

City of Quincy To Implement Alert Notification System

The City of Quincy will implement and activate a city-wide emergency and community notification system Thursday, Jan. 31.

he system entitled “Alert Quincy” will be delivered through OnSolve, a nationwide leader in emergency network communications.  The Alert Quincy messaging system will provide City public safety officials with the capability to quickly and effectively disseminate information to citizens during emergencies and other critical situations, by sending alerts via phone calls, text messages, and emails.

“We anticipate City Officials utilizing the alert system in emergency situations such as impending storms, flood warnings, missing persons, and crime alerts,” said Mayor Thomas P. Koch.  “The Alert Quincy system will strengthen communication across the city.  It can also be used to inform the public of community advisories such as parking bans and street closures.”

Although OnSolve has provided the City with a preliminary initial database of telephone numbers for the Alert Quincy system, all Quincy residents and those who work in the City are strongly encouraged to enroll with contact information including home phone, cell phone, and email addresses.  The city will conduct a preliminary test call to all residents with telephone numbers in the initial database Thursday, Jan. 31 at 2 p.m. to ensure messages are delivered and encourage registration of all contact methods.

“No one should automatically assume their contact information is included, and if your phone number is not in the database you will not be called,” Quincy Emergency Management Director Ally Sleiman said, urging all Quincy residents and businesses to log onto City website, www.quincyma.gov, and follow the link to the Alert Quincy Enrollment page.  Required information includes first and last name, street address (physical address, no P.O. boxes), city, state, zip code, and primary phone number, any additional phone numbers, and email addresses should be entered as well.  Your information is private and confidential, city officials said.

The Alert Quincy system will provide individuals with the ability to add and update their own phone numbers and email addresses directly into the system’s database, which is a very important feature.

“Alert Quincy allows geographically based delivery, which means street addresses are required to ensure emergency notification calls are received by the proper individuals in a given situation,” Sleiman explained. “The system works for cell phones as well, but an associated street address is required with the cell number so relevant messages can be provided.”

Residents that require assistance with registration or have general questions regarding the Alert Quincy notification system should contact the City of Quincy Office of Emergency Management at (617) 376-1105.

Share Button