Former Bridgewater Man To Be Arraigned For 1996 Rape


A 61-year-old former Bridgewater man will be arraigned Tuesday in Norfolk Superior Court for a 1996 Quincy rape.

Ivan Keith of Seal Cove, Maine, will be arraigned at 2 p.m. at Tuesday inside the Dedham courthouse. A former Bridgewater resident, Keith was arraigned in Taunton District Court on numerous in August after being located in Maine and returned to Massachusetts.

Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey said Keith was indicted in connection with the Quincy rape in 2012, based on the suspect’s DNA profile.

“This case was the subject of a John Doe/DNA profile indictment in 2012,” Morrissey said. “There was DNA evidence collected subsequent to the report of this rape, and the victim provided a physical description to detectives in 1996. That information became the basis for this indictment. We have amended the indictment to reflect this defendant’s name and scheduled his superior court arraignment.”

Keith fled Massachusetts 16 years ago, according to Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn III. Quinn said Keith was linked to two previously unsolved rapes that occurred in Bristol County more than 20 years ago.

The first rape occurred on July 27, 1997, outside the Bristol-Plymouth Regional High School in Taunton, Quinn said. In that case, a 36-year-old woman was exercising on the track outside the school when a masked man jumped out in front of her, forcibly led her to a wooded area, tied her up and raped her.  The second rape occurred on November 22, 1998 as a 47-year-old woman was working late cleaning offices at the Steve Porter Appraisal Services in Easton.  While she was cleaning, a masked man entered the building and attacked her as she opened the door of an office to take out the trash.  He then forcibly raped her before binding her hands and fleeing.

Investigators from the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office began reviewing the cases earlier this year, Quinn said, and identified Keith as the suspect. Keith was also linked to the Quincy rape, and another that took place in Plymouth County in 1996.

Keith was convicted of several sex-related crimes in Plymouth County in the 1980s and 1990s, Quinn said, as well as a sex crime in Maine in 2000. Keith, however, failed to comply with the sex offender registry and failed to provide a DNA sample to the state.

Keith was due in Brockton District Court in October 2003 for a jury trial on an open and gross lewdness charge, but intentionally defaulted and never appeared for that trial date, Quinn said.

Keith was arraigned last month in Taunton District Court on several charges – including five counts of aggravated rape, two counts of kidnapping and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and other charges. He was ordered to be held without bail for at least 120 days pending a dangerousness hearing.

Share this!