Koch, Ryan Nominated For Mayor; McCarthy Vs. Murphy In Ward 1

By ROBERT BOSWORTH

Two incumbents and two challengers emerged victorious in Tuesday’s mayoral and Ward 1 preliminary election finalizing the last two pieces of the general election ballot Nov. 5.

Mayor Thomas Koch of 249 Newbury Ave. – on the verge of Quincy mayoral history – topped the three-way mayoral preliminary election with 3,696 votes. Newcomer Brenda Ryan of 14 Cranch St. won the second nomination with 1,104 votes. Tracey Dorgan of 108 Sherman St. – another first-time candidate – was third with 805 votes.

Koch received 65.22 percent of the vote cast in the mayoral preliminary – nearly double the vote of his two challengers combined. Ryan’s percentage was 19.48 percent; Dorgan’s was 14.21 percent for a total of 33.69 percent. There were 102 blank ballots cast in the mayoral preliminary.

Koch and Ryan will vie for a four-year mayoral term Nov. 5. With a win, Koch, age 56 – who was first elected mayor in 2007 – would become the city’s longest serving mayor surpassing the 12 years served by former Mayors James Sheets (all Plan A form of government) and Amelio Della Chiesa (8 years Plan A, 4 years Plan E.)

Ryan, 49, is an author and researcher and former legislative aide at the Massachusetts State House making her first run for elected office.

In Ward 1, incumbent councillor David McCarthy of 48 Whitney Rd. topped the three-way preliminary for the two nomination spots. McCarthy, who is seeking is second two-year council term, polled 992 votes. He will face Joseph Murphy of 18 Macy St. who finished second in the preliminary with 343 votes. In third place was Danielle June Kempe of 1 Adams St. who received 277 votes.

Voter turnout for the city-wide mayoral preliminary was a mere 9.9 percent – 5,769 out of 58,280 registered voters cast ballots.

In Ward 1 the turnout was a little higher – 16.4 percent as 1,681 voters out of 10,249 in the ward went to the polls. There were 60 blank ballots cast in the Ward 1 preliminary.

The mayor’s race and Ward 1 contest will be among seven contested races on the ballot Tuesday, Nov. 5.

Two of those contests are for city-wide seats; the rest are for ward councillor seats.

There are five candidates seeking three city council at-large seats: incumbents Noel DiBona, 70 Chickatabot Rd.; Nina Liang, 2 Williams St. and Anne Mahoney, 12 Ferriter St. and challengers Frank Rubino, 5 Whiton Ave. and Joann Sullivan Cantor, 316 Fenno St. The top-three vote getters will win 2-year terms.

DiBona and Liang are each seeking their third two-year terms. Mahoney is seeking her second two-year term as a councillor at-large.

There are four candidates seeking three seats on the school committee: incumbents Paul Bregoli, 80 Willow Ave. and Kathryn Hubley, 44 Marion St. and challengers Courtney Perdios, 86 Ruggles St. and Frank Santoro, 14 Lois Ter. The top-three vote getters will win four-year terms. Bregoli and Hubley are each seeking their third terms on the school committee.

A third school committee incumbent, James DeAmicis, is not seeking re-election.

Seeking the ward 3 council seat are incumbent Ian Cain, 8 Highpoint Cir. and challenger Eriberto Soto, Jr., 627 Adams St. Cain is seeking his third two-year term.

There are two candidates vying for the open Ward 5 council seat: Stephen Christo, 42 Standish Ave. and Charles Phelan, 298 Fenno St. The seat is open because incumbent Kirsten Hughes is not seeking re-election.

In Ward 6, incumbent William Harris, 74 Ashworth Rd., faces a challenge by William Isenberg, 36 Carle St. Harris is seeking his third two-year term.

Incumbent ward councillors who are unopposed on the Nov. 5 ballot are Brad Croall (Ward 2) and Brian Palmucci (Ward 4). Croall is seeking his fifth two-year term and Palmucci is seeking his sixth two-year term.

Share this!