McCallum Death Rule A Homicide By Medical Examiner


The death of a former Quincy man who was fatally injured in a physical altercation outside an American Legion Post in Squantum in January has been ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner.

Christopher McCallum

According to the death certificate filed Tuesday with the Boston City Clerk’s office, Christopher McCallum, 44, of Bridgewater, died from blunt force trauma of the head from a fall during a physical altercation. The manner of death on the death certificate is listed as homicide.

A copy of the death certificate appears at the bottom of this story.

McCallum, a Quincy native and father of three, died Jan. 28 at Boston Medical Center, one day after he was found bleeding and unconscious in the parking lot of the Robert I. Nickerson American Legion Post on Moon Island Road after police responded to reports of a “large disorder” outside the hall at 20 Moon Island Rd.

No arrests have been made in the investigation since McCallum’s death more than six months ago. The case is under investigation by the Norfolk County District Attorney’s office which has said the case remains open. Few details about the investigation have been provided.

On Tuesday, after the death certificate filing, DA spokesperson David Traub said:

“The investigation into Mr. McCallum’s death remains active and ongoing, The Norfolk District Attorney’s Office has no further comment at this time.”

McCallum’s family said they are relieved to have the finalized medical examiner report.

“We look forward to the completion of the State Police and District Attorneys Office criminal investigation. We are confident that the justice system will prevail for Chris McCallum and his family,” the statement said.

Family members have said McCallum was at the Nickerson Post the night of Jan. 26 to attend a concert and was fatally injured after midnight while attempting to break up a fight that erupted after a group of men attempted to re-enter the building after being kicked out earlier.

McCallum is survived by his wife, Kathleen “Kathy” (Doyle), and their three sons, Ryan, Michael and Christopher.

McCallum grew up on Deerfield Street in Squantum and was a was a 1992 graduate of North Quincy High School. He was captain of the Red Raiders football and hockey teams his senior year and was inducted into the Quincy-North Quincy High Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

McCallum then attended the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, where he continued playing football, and graduated in 1996. He went on to work as an engineer after college.

More than 500 people attended a candlelight vigil in McCallum’s memory Feb. 15 outside the Squantum Elementary School.

“Chris was assaulted Jan. 27 at the Nickerson Post here in Squantum as he tried to break up a fight and he suffered a fatal head injury,” Kathy McCallum told the crowd that evening. “We are extremely appreciative to the Massachusetts State Police for their unending efforts to seek justice for Chris and our family.”

Kathy McCallum urged anyone who knew what happened to her husband to come forward to investigators.

“Please clear your conscience and tell the truth – even lies of omission lead to injustice” she said.
“As our families struggle to move forward in a world without Chris, we ask that in his memory and in remembrance of how he lived, please be kind to one another.”

William McCallum, Christopher’s father, said his son was unselfish and kind.

“If anyone ever needed any help, he was the first one there to help. He’d drive 30 miles from Bridgewater to Squantum to help me,” William McCallum told The Sun at the vigil. “He’d do anything. He’d even come over on his lunch hour to help.

“He was just a great guy – and I’m not saying that because he was my son. He was just a great overall guy.”

Dan Gilmartin, a friend of McCallum for more than 30 years, remembered him as a “heck of an athlete, but more than that he was a true gentleman. I remembered him handling himself with class and dignity even as a kid. He was a big, tough guy, but he was always gentle and kind. He was always smiling and always the first one to stick his hand out to help somebody.”


Share this!