Online Fundraiser Established To Support Family Displaced By House Fire

Quincy firefighters battled a two-alarm fire on Hersey Place in Quincy Point on Friday night. The fire displaced four residents, none of whom were home at the time. A dog was killed in the blaze. Photos courtesy Quincy Fire Department.


An online fundraiser has been established to support the family of three displaced by a two-alarm fire in Quincy Point on Friday night.

A fundraiser is available through the website GoFundMe to support the Bernardino family, who were residing in the second floor of the two-family home at 15 Hersey Place. Nicholas Rue, who started the fundraiser, wrote that the family lost their dog and most of their personal items that night.

To view the GoFundMe, visit:

“The family is nothing but the most kind-hearted people, and they have sacrificed and done so much for the Brazilian community and church community as well. Please help this family rebuild and support them through this tough time,” Rue said. “Thank you and god bless.”

More than $7,000 had been raised as of Wednesday morning. A fundraising goal of $10,000 has been set.

Quincy firefighters were called to the fire on Hersey Place, a dead-end road off Washington Street, shortly after 8 p.m. on Friday, Capt. Nate Egan said on Monday afternoon. The first companies to arrive on scene encountered heavy fire on the second floor of the two-family home.

Firefighters made an interior attack upon arrival before switching to a defensive approach. Working in a tightly packed neighborhood amid windy conditions, and with some difficulty getting enough water, firefighters stopped the blaze from spreading to surrounding homes.

“The guys did a great job. It was a very cold night, a very windy night,” Egan said. “They did a great job containing it to that house.”

Firefighters spent about four hours on scene. A portion of Washington Street was closed to traffic as crews battled the fire.

Three people had been residing in the unit on the second floor of the home and another person in the unit on the first floor, Egan said. No one was home at the time of the fire, though a dog was killed.

No injuries were reported among the firefighters who responded to the scene.

Egan said the damage from the fire was mainly to the second floor and attic of the home.

The cause of the fire had not been determined as of Monday, Egan said, but it is not considered suspicious.


Share this!