Two-Alarm Fire Caused $100,000 In Damage

Two-alarm fire on Flynt Street in North Quincy caused $100,000 in damage Saturday. Photo courtesy Michael Greene.

By SCOTT JACKSON

A two-alarm fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a North Quincy home on Saturday.

A neighbor noticed smoking rising from the chimney at 36 Flynt St. around 3 p.m. Saturday, according to Deputy Fire Chief Paul Griffith.

A couch inside the home was on fire, he said Tuesday, and had nearly burnt itself out when firefighters entered the home. Firefighters went past the couch as they searched for the fire and looked to see if anyone was at home at the time; fresh air that entered the house caused the fire to come alive again.

The house, Griffith said, was cluttered, making it difficult to enter the residence and locate the fire.

“It was a very cluttered house, so it was hard for them to get inside it and find the fire,” he stated. “When they finally found the fire, they were able to knock it down quickly.”

The fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, Griffith said, mostly from smoke and water.

No one was inside the home at the time the fire began, and no firefighters were injured. The Red Cross provided assistance to the residents after they returned later that day.

Capt. Roger Kineavy on Tuesday said the fire was caused by an ungrounded electrical outlet that had extension cords connected to it.

 

Share this!